Ozark Regional Online  

Go Back   Ozark Regional Online > Lebanon / Laclede Area > General Discussions

Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4real View Post
Why would a majority of city council vote to shift these responsibilities? What is the goal? If council continues down this rabbit hole the next muni code change should be upgrading the CA title to Emperor and let him mandate his salary. I'm with Ray. Shifting decision making from elected officials to unelected games the system and the will of the people.
I think the mayor position is meant as a check on the ca and council is a check on both mayor and ca. Ray seems to understand this better than council. I admit that i have always liked Ray as a person but was unsure about him as an elected person but he hasn't really changed his personality because he was elected.

Council can only control Heard if there are five voting for it. If the mayor isn't his supervisor then he'd be the only city employee with no supervisor.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Im sure if 50 to 60 people showed up at council meeting and protested, Heard will have flashbacks to Ashland maybe even have a stroke, At least council will know how we feel, not that it means anything to Heards buddies on council, 1 just seated and the other kepted it warm till he ran for Ward 4, Ward 1 is dead meat on the poor side because of voting
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 AM

Disagree. Ray wants to play this out in the media when he should be handling it behind closed doors. He whines about having no power but what the !@#$%^&* has he done as the CA's supervisor to put an end to it. Stop trying to build a consensus with council and do what you were elected to do. Be the CA's boss! He hasn't had one in three mayors. It might be a welcome relief. And document, document, and then document some more for the legal battle that ensues.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4real View Post
Disagree. Ray wants to play this out in the media when he should be handling it behind closed doors. He whines about having no power but what the !@#$%^&* has he done as the CA's supervisor to put an end to it. Stop trying to build a consensus with council and do what you were elected to do. Be the CA's boss! He hasn't had one in three mayors. It might be a welcome relief. And document, document, and then document some more for the legal battle that ensues.
I've been told that Ray has yelled at CA and gives direction, but the only direction Heard follows is public pressure because council backs him on everything behind those closed doors. I'm also guessing that Ray doesn't want to be CP Craig. We are known for running people who don't build council consensus out of town

Reports from Thursday meeting a week or two back was that the mayor has no problem standing his ground and told Heard what to do. White commented on that, I believe. Maybe he can comment more on whether Ray is assertive enough. Council did a good job since CP taking police, fire, etc from mayor and gladly handing it to Heard. Not much mayor can do about that. I wonder how this all would play out if Elmore-Sutter-Wheeler stuck around as I imagine with White that Ray would be close to the votes he needs.

I keep saying he just needs to call for Heard's removal and put council on the spot for their vote.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM

He is not bashful about stating the MO statute that states he is the CA's boss and the CA will follow the mayors direction, etc, on FB. We all know if the council was together on things for the whole of the town, instead of their individual favorite wealthy citizens interests, things would be a lot different around here. JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape View Post
I've been told that Ray has yelled at CA and gives direction, but the only direction Heard follows is public pressure because council backs him on everything behind those closed doors. I'm also guessing that Ray doesn't want to be CP Craig. We are known for running people who don't build council consensus out of town

Reports from Thursday meeting a week or two back was that the mayor has no problem standing his ground and told Heard what to do. White commented on that, I believe. Maybe he can comment more on whether Ray is assertive enough. Council did a good job since CP taking police, fire, etc from mayor and gladly handing it to Heard. Not much mayor can do about that. I wonder how this all would play out if Elmore-Sutter-Wheeler stuck around as I imagine with White that Ray would be close to the votes he needs.

I keep saying he just needs to call for Heard's removal and put council on the spot for their vote.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
He is not bashful about stating the MO statute that states he is the CA's boss and the CA will follow the mayors direction, etc, on FB. We all know if the council was together on things for the whole of the town, instead of their individual favorite wealthy citizens interests, things would be a lot different around here. JMHO
Exactly. I think the behind closed doors stuff is what people are tired of. Idle rumors and such.

My biggest prblem of the last year or so with him is that he should maybe do some townhall meetings and maybe lock Heard out of city hall.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Before too long ca will also be public works director. Hide and watch.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Maybe this should be played out in a court of law to decide if the city is being run according to state statues.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM

In reference to the LDR story, only a fool would care what Adkins has to say. Drain the swamp!!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape View Post

I am not privileged to all that may have taken place during the last year so I cannot totally assess the assertiveness aspect. However, if there is a problem then take care of it. The buck stops with the Mayor. He heads the city and has the authority per state statues. He has the necessary city resources at his disposal to pursue whatever help he may need to take care of any problems.

For general reading you might be interested in the recently released and posted consultant's "report" embedded within the council retreat minutes from September 24, 2016. The city paid nearly $5k for the consultant to assess city government. Pages 1 and 2 of the consultant's report is a summarization of interviews with the city's senior management. Pages 3 and 4 of the consultant's report is a summarization of discussion with city council.

Last edited by JWhite; 04-20-2017 at 06:58 PM.